After eight months (EIGHT FREAKING MONTHS!!!) of waiting, Sleepy Hollow finally returned to me last night with the first episode of season 2. And it was probably one of the best season premiere episodes I’ve ever seen in the history of television. Let’s pick it apart to see why (or: Sleepy Hollow 2.01, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways):
1. The opening sequence, while extremely confusing at first, was pretty much straight up fanfiction. Ichabod and Abbie lost their only remaining familial ties a year before, they only have each other, Abbie throws Ichabod a surprise birthday party, you can sense that they’re having “more than platonic” feelings for each other…
2. Then, when the opening sequence is just a trick played on them by War and Moloch, Ichabod goes back to his grave, and Abbie is back in purgatory. However, as they’re being torn away from each other, Ichabod screams that he’s coming for Abbie (heart beginning to melt here). When in his pine box and wondering if he’ll actually make it out alive, Ichabod attempts to make a recording for Abbie, not for his wife (take that, Ichatrina shippers)!
3. Jenny is alive, and she is back with a vengeance! She stabs a Hessian in the heart while tied to a chair. Enough said.
4. We get to see Ichabod and Jenny team up alone for a brief moment in order to save Abbie from Purgatory, which is something I’ve been developing in my headcanon for a while now, so I’m glad to see something similar make it into the show.
5. When Abbie communicates with Ichabod while in Purgatory, they share the most heartbreaking hug and conversation they’ve had yet. Abbie wants to sacrifice herself and stay in Purgatory to keep Moloch’s army from reaching Earth, and Ichabod will not have any of it, stating, “I do not accept goodbye.” When they are about to part, he tells her, “Hold fast, Abigail Mills. I’m coming for you.” At this point, my heart is a puddle. I can’t handle all of these Ichabbie feels!
Be still, my heart.
The moment when my heart completely melted. He just couldn’t let her go.
6. Ichabod keeps his promise to come for her, which is something I really needed after he betrayed Abbie in season 1 by redrawing the map to Purgatory after he burned the original.
7. The Mills sisters are reunited, and now Jenny, Abbie, and Ichabod are ready to take on Henry (War), the Headless Horseman (Death), and whatever new plan Moloch has devised to begin the Apocalypse. Oh yeah, and they’re ready to save Katrina too.
While I obviously loved this episode, I do have some qualms that I’d like to put out there. First, when Jenny learns that Ichabod left Abbie behind in Purgatory, she doesn’t yell at him! I expected her to get at least somewhat angry, especially since she told Abbie in the season 1 finale that she would come for her with guns blazing if Abbie wasn’t back by sundown. Also, I’m really annoyed with Katrina, if you didn’t notice already. She’s a terrible witch. (Who thinks that stabbing the Headless Horseman in the hand will lead to you being able to run away from him? No one. That’s who. Where are your powers? I don’t believe it when you say that being in Purgatory weakened them.) Since she can’t actually use any of her powers to free herself, she’s being held captive by a very buff, shirtless Headless Horseman (who used to be her fiance, don’t you know) and of course needs rescuing again. Abbie and Ichabod spent a huge chunk of season 1 getting that witch’s ass out of Purgatory, and now she’s a damsel in distress once again. When will it end?
Will Headless/Abraham’s perfectly sculpted pecks turn Katrina to the dark side?
Overall, however, I absolutely loved this episode. I loved how it was so focused on Ichabbie–it is their relationship that is the foundation of the show. I also just ADORE Abbie Mills, and her courage was so present and center-stage during this episode. I feel like the show’s writers are getting better and better at storytelling and building up all of the characters.
Going into the rest of the season, I hope that something interesting finally happens with Katrina but that she also does not ruin the chemistry between Ichabod and Abbie (aka–I hope she turns out to be evil). I also hope we get to see more of Ichabod’s backstory leading up to his time in the Revolutionary War. Whatever happens, know that Ichabbie prevails in the end. That ship just won’t sink.